Evaluating water wastage as per various drinking systems and the study of drinking behavior of gestating group-housed sows
Building and livestock management
Aim / objectives:
In order to optimize water and barn management of gestating group-housed sows, assess water wastage as per various models of drinking systems or nipples as well as per the behaviour of the sows when drinking.
- Design and manufacture a system for measuring water wastage;
- Measure the water wasted by sows for five types of drinking systems or nipples according to environmental conditions;
- Analyze the drinking behavior of group-housed sows (using RFID readers):
- Identify which drinking systems are used by sows the most and study the relationship between crowding at the watering point and the pen layout;
- Identify drinking time relative to feeding time;
- Identify the number of visits to the drinking trough, amount of water used (consumed + wasted), duration of drinking, while also taking into consideration environmental conditions.
- Create an environmental and economic analysis of water waste reduction.
Alain Lefebvre, programmer and computer expert, Jyga Technologies inc.; Benjamin Roy and Pierre Roy, Ferme Saniben inc.
February 2017 to November 2018
Marie-Aude Ricard; Jean-Gabriel Turgeon; Patrick Gagnon